When You Lose a Loved One
This checklist has been provided as a reminder of the many items needed upon the loss of your loved one. At James H. Cole we make every effort to ensure that your needs are met with an attention to every detail at one of the most difficult times in your life. Should you have any questions or need additional information prior to your appointment please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Make the initial call to the funeral home, notifying us of the loss of your loved one.
- Begin to gather information that will be needed during the arrangement process such as
- Date of Birth
- Social Security number
- Parents' names
- Highest Level of Schooling
- Military Records (if applicable)
- Insurance policies (if you require our assistance)
- You will also want to consider the final resting place for your loved one. You may choose either traditional burial or cremation. We can assist you with options for one or the other.
- The funeral home will contact you to schedule an appointment to make the funeral arrangements.
- During your appointment additional items you will need to consider are:
- Writing of the obituary
- Printing and developing the service programs
- A photo of your loved one for the program
- Memorial video tribute
- Ordering of flowers for the service
- Will you need a minister, priest or member of the clergy to officiate the funeral service
- Will you need a musician or singer for the service
- If cremation is your choice, what will be the final resting place? Your home, burial at a cemetery, placement in a columbarium or scattering.
- Your director will schedule a private time with you to view your loved one for the first time. Once we have your approval at that designated time, we will then allow others to pay their respects.
This checklist has been provided as a courtesy of James H. Cole Home for Funerals. Please note during your visit to the funeral home full disclosure of packages, pricelist and all information in accordance with FTC regulation is strictly adhered to with every family, on every service.